Archive for the ‘Product Review’ Category
Sugar … it’s pure deliciousness, but it’s pure evil. Sorry to burst your bubble!
When you are gluten free or have multiple food allergies, breakfast is often the hardest meal of the day, simply because a traditional western breakfast is chock full of food no-no’s for someone with food allergies like me. Baked goods, eggs, milk, cheese … kill me now!
The alternatives ain’t much better, folks! Most gluten free toast has the texture and taste of cardboard, cereals have the nutritional content of air (i.e. not much!), and the only way to make them taste better is through sugar, sugar, and more sugar, and maybe some trans fats.
There are certain gluten and allergy free foods that are just so damn hard to perfect, and pizza crust is one of them.
The hardest part in making gluten free baked goods, for me, is finding a recipe that doesn’t have eggs in it, since I’m also allergic to them (and I know I’m definitely not the only one!). Now let’s get one thing clear … I’m not recommending that you start baking brownies and cupcakes and pizza crust every day of the week, but my general rule with myself and clients is 80% healthy, nutritious, and healing foods, and the other 20% you need to still treat yourself. Yes, that’s right, I said need.
One of the hardest parts of having Celiac disease or multiple food allergies is feeling left out, food wise, of special occasions or treats that make life worth living.
I’ve just died and gone to gluten and dairy free snack heaven. For a quick snack, you must find these protein bars NOW.
If you don’t have multiple food allergies, you may not appreciate this post, but if you are, you will know exactly what I mean when I say that finding nutritious, quick, gluten, egg, and dairy free, protein rich snacks is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Seriously.
I was at my local Bulk Barn today, checking out some new allergy free foods. They had a nice shiny display set up with all sorts of different protein and snack bars. Normally, someone with multiple food allergies like myself can count out protein bars, or they are full of soy, which for other reasons, I avoid in it’s unfermented form like the plague.
Then my eyes came upon a protein bar label marked “Gluten, Soy, & Diary Free”, and the words “Created by Nutritionists” … ahh, what is this little nugget of hope that is piquing my allergy free interests? To the ingredient list I turn to find some reason to not be able to eat this quick snack, to which I found no objections to my food allergies! Really?!?
I was feeling better and looking better … except for my back. My back was broken out. Gross.
I couldn’t figure it out, until one day in the shower (don’t worry, this is G rated!) I read the back of the shampoo bottle. I don’t have the thickest of hair, so when I went all gluten free and healthy, I switched to organic volumizing lavender shampoo. Little did I know that volumizing shampoos generally use wheat as a thickener, leading to my less than beautiful back!
So what does a gluten free person do if they want to use body care products that are free from harmful chemicals such parabens, phthalates, artificial fragrances, AND gluten? Green Beaver Company to the rescue!